Below is a list of some essential personality traits a model should possess in order to have a successful modelling career.
A model must:
- Love being in front of the camera and an audience
- Be able to perform on demand
- Be committed to and serious about modelling
- Be hard-working – a modelling career isn't just going to fall into your lap
- Be professional and pleasant to work with
- Be patient and resilient
- Be intelligent with the ability to learn quickly
- Be versatile, willing to learn and able to take directions
- Have good self-esteem
- Be able to take rejection and constructive criticism
- Be extremely determined. A model may need to go to many castings before being offered a job.
- Be able to attend lots of castings, sometimes without much notice
- Have great organisational skills to keep track of schedules and finances
- Be able to sell themselves and sell the product
- Have a passion for fashion
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle, eat the right food and get at least eight hours of sleep a night
- Work out to maintain a healthy body weight and fitness level. This will also reduce stress
- Have a good skincare regime. Skin-brushing from head to toe will help to increase your circulation and give you an all-over glow
How do I maintain a healthy body and mind in a highly competitive industry?
It is a challenge to keep this balance when it seems you are being judged by others all the time. Try to find some balance in your life by keeping in touch with friends who are not in the 'industry', and spending time on other activities. Having interests outside of modelling will help too. Being self critical, judging yourself harshly, or paying too much attention to the opinions of others can all get you down. Think about how you could help be positive towards other people- giving them compliments, or encouragement because what goes around comes around too.